Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I cannot believe this..

So I rush home to get 3 miles in on the treadmill before a 7:30 yoga class. But I still had to jack with my ipod and by the time I was ready to run, there was no way I was making the class, which is cool, because I really wanted to run.
When I was putting on my running shoes, I noticed that my ankle was sore where my sock had been all day. On further inspection I noticed a HUGE purple bruise. I was puzzled for a moment, then remembered I had snapped the kick start from my motorcycle back against my ankle bone on saturday night. So 3 full days later, my ankle is f*cked. Totally weird. I blow it off and get on the treadmill.
I really suck at running on the treadmill. My normal turtle pace is like a minute SLOWER on the treadmill. Maybe I need to have someone watch me run? I don't know. I suck at the treadmill so I never run for very long. Last night was no exception. I ran for about a mile and the ankle really hurt but I figured eh, its a bruise, suck it up. After a half mile, my ass/hip area felt like someone was pushing on it with the fat end of a pool cue. Something from my ankle bone was irritating my hip and IT band. Lovely. I limped along for another half mile and called it quits after 1 mile.
Completely stubborn about sticking to my running schedule I suited up this morning to attempt the 3 miler again, this time in the cold. (32 degrees) It's hard for me to pass up an opportunity to bust out all my fancy technical gear and run in the cold. I can tolerate cold way better than heat and when I'm when I am sitting on my back porch in August, waiting for the temp to fall below 100 so I can go for a run, I will be glad I got my run in when it was 30.
I shuffled through the run. It felt great to be out in the cold, and I have already noticed an improvement in my lung function since I saw the allergist on Monday. With the pain in my foot I just couldnt get my stride to open up. I still had the throbbing pain in my ankle and the corresponding pool cue feeling in my hip but I pressed on enjoying the cold and the winter sunrise as I headed eastward, home. I'm going to put heat on the bruise today, keep it elevated at my desk and do some (seated) kundalini at home, in hopes that I can get it to behave and finish my last few training runs in before the race.

No comments: